You’ve just applied for your discount dental plan, and you can’t wait to use it on your next visit. There’s only one problem: you need to find a dentist! Finding one who is right for you can be a challenging process if you don’t know what you’re looking for. You may want to consider the following criteria as you choose your cheap dentist.
Where to Start
First, start your search with a family or general dentist who accepts your discount plan. They are licensed to diagnose oral conditions, as well as perform basic treatments. If needed, they can refer you to a specialist.
You will also want to learn a little bit about your provider’s experience. If you are concerned about the quality of the practice, here are some key questions to ask him or her:
- How long has your practice been established?
- What procedures do you typically perform?
- Are you experienced in performing treatments I need?
- What’s the referral process for procedures you don’t do?
- What dental societies are you a member of?
- Are you pursuing continuing education? (Some societies require dentists to take continuous classes in order to stay up-to-date on procedures and technological advances.)
Here are some questions to ask the provider about special care:
- Do you allow emergency visits? Are you available on weekends or after hours?
- What amenities do you offer?
- Do you offer laser treatment in place of drills or scalpels?
If you need cosmetic work, ask to see before-and-after photos of previous patients who underwent cosmetic procedures.
Determine your actual costs before you go in for treatment. Your estimated dentist bill should include the fees for the procedure(s), anesthesia and facilities. Your discount plan can help ensure affordable dental coverage for many procedures – the best plan offers you a fee schedule of treatments and their specific dollar amounts online.
- Make sure the location of the office is convenient, in case your procedures should require multiple visits.
- How friendly and courteous is the dentist’s team? If you don’t feel comfortable with the hygienists and other staff members, then you may not want to visit that dentist’s office.
Now that you’ve read through these tips, you’re ready to begin your search for a provider. Before committing to your first visit, remember to double-check that the office accepts your discount dental plan. Once you’ve found a great discount dental provider, make an appointment as soon as possible to enjoy healthy teeth and a happy wallet!